How to Apply (Parent)
Once your son or daughter has been awarded financial aid, you may want to borrow funds through a parent loan. Below are the steps that you will need to take in order to get your parent loan approved and processed. If you need additional help to complete the process, watch the video How to Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan.
Applying for a Direct Parent Loan
- Your student must accept the parent loan award via the Financial Aid tab on Texas State Self-Service.
- If you have not already, sign in at studentloans.gov and select Request a PLUS Loan to complete an online loan application. To assist you with the process, you may want to watch the video How to Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan.
- Once you complete the loan application and the credit check is approved, you will be immediately required to complete a master promissory note.
- The completed application and master promissory note information will then be transmitted by the federal government to our office within 5 business days. Once received, we will then resume the processing of your loan.
- The parent loan funds will credit to your student's account with Student Business Services, and any remaining funds are typically mailed.
- Even though this loan is one that you (the parent) will repay, your student must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements.
- Please be careful and avoid the below common mistakes that students and parents make when completing the application.
1. Wrong School Year: Schools process for two award years simultaneously, so make sure the right year is selected.
2. Social Security Numbers: If a wrong Social Security number is entered for the student or parent, the school will not be able to match the record to the student.
3. Reversed Information: If the first and last name are reversed, or if the parent data is entered in the student section, the school will not be able to match the record to the student's account.
4. Keep in mind the parent loan application is different than the master promissory note (MPN). The parent loan application must be completed every year.
5. The MPN must only be completed by a first-time borrower one time; unless an endorser is involved, which requires an MPN to be completed every year.