San Marcos High School Bobcat Promise
Helping guarantee all San Marcos High School graduates have access to a higher education, regardless of their family's financial resources.
In an initiative to increase access to higher education, Texas State University-San Marcos has developed the San Marcos High School (SMHS) Bobcat Promise. This program guarantees free tuition and mandatory fees for 15 credit hours per semester to new entering freshmen who are graduates of San Marcos High School with a family adjusted gross income that does not exceed $35,000.
Eligible students must apply and be accepted for admission, as well as submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), no later than March 15 prior to the upcoming academic year in order to receive the guaranteed funds. Students may qualify for the program for up to eight continuous long semesters (fall and spring). This program will provide up to the cost of 15 credit hours of tuition and fees each fall and spring semester (an award in excess of $8,800 per academic year).
Under the SMHS Bobcat Promise, tuition and mandatory fees will be paid through a combination of federal, state and institutional funds. These funds include, but are not limited to, PELL Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), TEXAS Grant, Texas Public Educational Grant (TPEG), Texas State Tuition Grant (TSTG), institutional scholarships, college work study, etc. The SMHS Bobcat Promise plan will be in effect beginning fall 2009.
To be eligible for the SMHS Bobcat Promise, you must:
- Be a graduate of San Marcos High School, San Marcos, Texas
- Be an entering first-time freshman (transfer students are not eligible)
- Be a Texas resident
- Have a family adjusted gross income of $35,000 or less
- Be enrolled full-time and complete at least 15 credit hours each semester (fall and spring semesters)
- Apply and be accepted for admission, as well as submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), no later than March 15 prior to the upcoming academic year
Disclaimer - In accordance with NCAA rules, current and prospective student-athletes will be awarded on an individual basis. In some cases, certain forms of financial assistance (such as those offered via the SMHS Bobcat Promise) may not be awarded to or accepted by a student-athlete.
To continue being eligible for the SMHS Bobcat Promise after the first year, you must:
- Maintain at least a cumulative 2.0 Texas State GPA (reviewed each May)
- Have completed at least 15 credit hours per semester during the previous academic year (fall and spring semesters)
- Meet the institutional and program-specific (e.g., TEXAS Grant.) Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) requirements
- Submit a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by March 15 prior to the upcoming academic year
- Continue to have a family adjusted gross income of $35,000 or less
Any combination of aid, including outside scholarships, will not exceed the cost of attendance.
Frequently Asked Questions