Skip to Content

Withdrawing, Non-Passing Grades and Attendance

StudentsIf you withdraw or are expelled from the university on or prior to the 60-percent point of the semester, you are required to repay any unearned portion of your federal Title IV aid. The aid that must be considered when determining your unearned amount is as follows:

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)
  • Direct Loan
  • Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant

If you are enrolled after the 60-percent point, you have earned all of your Title IV aid (i.e., no Title IV funds will need to be repaid as a result of a withdrawal). Bear in mind that these rules apply only to federal, not state and institutional, financial aid programs.

Two different refund calculations are applicable for a federal financial aid recipient who withdraws. These two refund calculations are the school refund calculation and the federal aid refund calculation.

Determining Unearned Title IV Aid

Unofficial Withdrawals and Earning All Non-Passing Grades

Summary of the Requirements of 34 CFR 668.22

Determining Unearned Title IV Aid

If you decide to withdraw (or are expelled), you must complete a withdrawal form (available via the University Registrar’s Office) and visit with a financial aid counselor. The counselor will provide counseling to you regarding the consequences of your withdrawal (i.e., repayment obligations, impact on your satisfactory academic progress, etc.).You will need to repay any unearned Title IV funds. If these funds are not repaid within the required timeframe, the debt will be transferred for collections.

You can compute a rough estimate of the amount that you will need to repay prior to visiting with a counselor by using the U.S. Department of Education’s Treatment of Title IV Funds When A Student Withdraws form.

Unofficial Withdrawals and Earning All Non-Passing Grades

If you fail to earn a passing grade in at least one of your courses (i.e., all U’s, all I's or a combination of all U's, W's or I's) during a semester, you are considered to have, for purposes of federal Title IV funds, unofficially withdrawn from the university. As a result, a federal withdrawal calculation must be performed to determine the amount of Title IV funds that you must repay. The only exception is when an institution can document (within 30 days of the end of the semester) that you were academically engaged after the 60-percent point of the semester.

Once semester grades post, and if you fail to earn a passing grade in at least one of your courses, Financial Aid and Scholarships will perform the federal withdrawal (Return of Title IV) calculation. Once the amount you must repay is determined, Financial Aid and Scholarships will mail you a letter with the repayment details. 

Note: A grade of U (Unearned Failing) is awarded to students who do not officially withdraw from but fail to complete a course (i.e., did not take a final exam, stopped attending, etc.) and failed to achieve the course objectives.

Semester 60-Percent Point
Fall 2016 10/31/16
Spring 2017 3/29/17
Summer 2017 Varies by Enrollment Date
If you are a Pell Grant, Iraq-Afghanistan Service Grant (IASG) or TEACH Grant recipient, federal regulations require you to have begun attending the courses for which you are enrolled and receiving these grants. If on the census class day roster (i.e., 12th class day of each fall and spring semester and the 4th class day in July for the summer semester) you are reflected as not attending a course, you are assumed not to have begun attendance for that course. Your grant will then be adjusted or cancelled based on the courses you have actually begun attending.
If you fail to begin attendance in all of the courses for which you are registered, you will have failed to establish eligibility for financial aid. In this situation, you will be required to repay all of the financial aid that you have received.
Enrollment Status Pell Grant Amount
Full time 100%
Three-quarter time 75%
Half time 50%
Less than half time 25%